[TIPark Seminar] Intellectual Property Protection: the Basics
The talk will cover
1) what are the IP protections (i.e., briefly talking about patent, trademark, and copyrights)
2) Introduction of Patent (how to read a patent, what a patent contains?)
3) Filing a patent application (introduction to provisional patent, nonprovisional patent, and PCT)
4) Creating a patent portfolio/patent strategy (protect your invention, and increase the value of your invention)
A Q & A session will follow the presentation.
- Dr. Joe Tai, Attorney-at-Law, Haverstock and Owens LLP
Dr. Joe Tai focuses his practice on patentprocurement, strategy, counseling, and litigation for U.S. and international companies. Dr. Tai was named to the Rising Stars of the Northern California Super Lawyer® in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
Dr. Tai is admitted to practice law in California and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Dr. Tai is fluent in English and native in Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese.
Dr. Tai has successfully invented, patented, manufactured, and commercialized several innovative consumer products, which won two INPEX Invention Gold Medals. Dr. Tai and his inventions are frequently featured on media, including Food Network, DIY Channel, TVB-USA, Global TV (Canada), Channel BC1 Global News (Canada), KTSF26, World Journal News and Radio, Sing Tao Radio and Newspaper, and Sound of Hope. Dr. Tai has several patents issued internationally and co-founded several companies.
Dr. Tai received his J.D. from the School of Law of Golden Gate University in San Francisco, California. He earned his Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of California, Davis in Davis, California. He received his M.S. in Inorganic Chemistry and his B.S. in Chemistry from Catholic Fu-Jen University in Taipei, Taiwan.